Sunday, December 27, 2009

Finally Free!!


Yikes! I wanted to take some pictures of this beautiful day but my family took the digital camera with them to Pennsylvania. It was sunny, warm(or warmer) and the snow was finally melting in spots. It was the first time since the snow that I found the chickens in my front yard. I wanted to take a picture of the rooster and his ladies on my front porch. Ramona's piglets were out and about for the first time today! It was fun to see little red things dart back and forth across their field. I wanted to take a picture of that, too! My next group of Berkshire pork was completely covered in mud. I can tell and name each one of my pigs. All of them. But today, I couldn't tell any of the Berkshires apart. The time just before sunset was really beautiful. It was a great opportunity to look at my animals and make sure everyone is happy and healthy. Mary Lou(a Tamworth gilt) needed extra rubbing. I love when you touch them and they just collapse right on the ground. She is just like her mom(#2). It was also a great opportunity to study conformation. Hopefully we can expect quite a few litters in the spring.

Because of all of our wonderful customers, our farm is busting at the seams. I can't think of a better "problem"! Too much demand, not enough supply. We are researching now in hopes of expanding our markets. We still will only provide pork and poultry. We love the pigs, love the birds...no need to expand the livestock list. This is what we want to specialize in, what we want to educate everyone with and simply what we want to tuck in every night!

Just thought I would add a picture of part of the restoration. This was at the very beginning. The portico was falling on one side...had to be raised. The pilasters had to be rebuilt and the front looked as if it had been bombed in the Civil War. But notice the perfect symmetry of the flowers and flower pots! I am a complete spaz about symmetry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment