Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Great Morning

How wonderful it was to wake up this morning to dark clouds and a steady rain. I remember last spring when it seemed like we were getting too much rain. The ground was so saturated and couldn't handle even the slightest shower. Today's rainfall is truly welcoming! Every living thing out there needs it, especially the pigs. With the brutal heat this summer, all of us are constantly making sure all pigs, young and old, have plenty of drinking water and wallows. I noticed as I got my coffee this morning, they were up and about, grazing and frolicking . And clean! The rain gave them a good "bath" and now I can finally see what they look like.

It looks like we'll have another busy season with piglets. I believe we'll have 18-20 sows and gilts having litters this summer. Ramona is due again maybe in about a week. This time they will be pure Berkshires and not the "Red Dalmatians". We are also expecting our first Large Black Hog litter. They are just the cutest as newborns and they grow into the most gentle giants!

Tomorrow we'll start processing the chickens. It'll feel good to have product again!

No comments:

Post a Comment