Thursday, November 22, 2012

Good Morning!

Usually when I do some research when I want to get involved with something, I like to hear the "bad" stuff. I find this information helpful because sometimes things do go wrong. Sometimes the weather just won't cooperate. Sometimes you may feel extremely exhausted and dread going out in the freezing rain. And fence work? Not my idea of an exciting afternoon.

I clearly remember a statement this woman had made about her farm a while back. That's all it was...just a statement. Not a full article detailing the "how to's" of farming. But just a simple feeling she had one morning. She just didn't feel like going outside. She just wasn't in a good mood. But as soon as she stepped outside, she was immediately greeted by happy animals excited to see her. Sure, they wanted to be fed, but it's nice to see happy, excited animals. Her mood changed and she had a great day.

My day usually begins by getting up early (I love getting up when it's still dark) and getting the coffee started. I turn on the computer and then maybe get some appliances going.....then sit down with my first cup of coffee. As the sun comes up, I start glancing outside to see the morning status. Is anybody up? Anyone escape? Why are the dogs barking? I happened to glance to my left one morning, looking out in the field towards the huts. No one was out yet. Still too early and cozy in their huts. Then all of a sudden 20 plus piglets bolted out of a hut and raced towards the feeding area. I could imagine one piglet saying, "Last one to the fence is a rotten egg!!". Then the moms, one by one, came out of the sleeping quarters...slowly stretching with their morning yoga. They do look like they are doing the "downward dog".

The roosters start crowing, however that begins as early as 3:00 am. The geese fly overhead from the backfield to the pond out front. The cats who were sleeping in the house wait by the office door ready to start their day shift. The cats outside during the night jump on that same office door. Night shift is over and are ready to sleep. We all have our morning routines.

I thought about that woman's statement this morning. I wasn't in a bad mood....I just found it hysterical when I opened the side door and all of the pigs....boars and sows out front, piglets on the side and the pork hogs in the back...simultaneously lifted their heads and looked towards the house.

"She's awake!!"

They really do look happy....and that makes me happy.

Yes indeed, the feeding will begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment