Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Loves and Joys


About two years ago, Scott went to a local farm, Cibola Farms, to inquire about a job with farm markets. Cibola Farms raises bison and pork and sells in farmers markets in the DC Metro area. I found myself a tad surprised when he came home and said,"I think I'm going to buy some pigs."

Hmm... okay we have some chickens, are we ready for pigs?

When we moved here to our farm, we knew we would raise some animals for our own purpose, but we NEVER thought we would raise for the purpose of farming for others. After a two minute conversation, we decided to purchase a Tamworth boar and three Tamworth sows from Cibola. Pig farming has begun!

We fell in love immediately (and respected immediately) our new herd. We called the boar Big Daddy and the three sows were #2,#4, and #5. We were trying to think of names for the girls, but after so many days went by, the names became their ear tags...#2,#4, #5. What a joy it was to realize how pigs are incredible animals. They are smart(too smart!), have personalities like dogs, and love to be around people.

We still have Big Daddy and #2. #4 never produced a litter for us so you know what that means. And sadly, #5 died last spring. She was about three weeks away from farrowing. It's hard to say what happened with her. Thinking maybe something intestinal. I'll post more about her later. She was such a sweet pig.

Since that time, I have become obsessed with pigs. Neverending research has led me to other breeds of hogs besides Tamworths. I've fallen in love with Berkshires as well as Large Black Hogs. The photo is that of my Berkshire pork, ready in March.

As of now, I will have 23 breeding sows for next year's production. And believe it or not, that's not enough. I have to turn many people away because I don't have enough pigs!

I truly have such a warm spot in my heart for these creatures. I love being out there on a warm day and giving each "joy" a good rub down. They love it as much as I do! I possess happy pigs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment