Sunday, November 1, 2009

How Did We Get Into This?

My husband, Scott, and I never talked about farming. It all started when we moved out to the "country", thinking we hit the jackpot with one acre of land. We quickly realized that the houses were still on top of each other. I remember thinking of the strong desire that I would like to take a walk on my property. My feelings were pretty much confirmed when my oldest son(third grade at the time) came home from school, excited about the possibility of getting a chicken. His class had successfully incubated eggs and with parents' permission, could take a baby chick home. I had to explain to him that it was against the rules to have chickens and other farm animals in our neighborhood. So the search began.

At first we were just looking for land with whatever house happened to be on it. I would drag Scott to numerous places. He didn't really feel a connection with any of them. During a vacation to New England one year, we went through a tour of Franklin Pierce's house. At the same time, something changed in both of our hearts...the desire to restore a historic house. We loved how there was a story about each room, as if the house itself was living to tell its story to each generation. We were hooked and the search changed to a historic house we could restore.

Pleasant Hill was for sale and I knew once I showed the listing to Scott, he would feel connected. We knew it was going to be our home the first time we walked through.

The first two years were mainly about cleaning up and working on the house. We started with guinea hens and soon after decided to try egg layers. The next two years we found ourselves farming with broilers and turkeys and had an opportunity to purchase some pigs. Little did I know, this would be the beginning of a love affair! There are numerous stories to tell since January 2005. As I remember some, I surely will post. Scott and I have learned that farming can be incredibly frustrating and difficult. But by the end of the day, week or month, we find it to be wonderfully rewarding. We love what we do.

One story that does come to mind...One evening at about 11:00pm, we realized our 500 pound Berkshire boar was out of his electric fence. His area was down the back hill by the creek. This area is rocky in some places with heavy erosion. Did I mention it was pouring down rain? And pitch black? We had no choice but to get him back in the fence. We were running with sorting panels trying desperately not to break an ankle on the terrain. I'm sure God must have been laughing hysterically at us. Finally, Ollie the boar made it in...and we all were exhausted. As Scott and I were walking up the hill, the only thing that came to my mind was, "How did we get into this?"....

No comments:

Post a Comment