Saturday, November 14, 2009

Weaning


When our piglets are about six weeks old, we wean them from their mom and put them in a confined area with hog panels. I have to say I absolutely detest this part of pig farming. Piglets are like puppies with playful, mischievous spirits. When they are first born, they don't wander too far from mom. After about a week they start to explore. It doesn't take too long for them to realize that we keep the feed in the shop. Before I know it, I am greeted there with tiny grunts and oinks. "Where's my food? Where's my food?!" How much fun it is for them to find a new spot to explore and see new pig faces who may be their future friends. My neighbor has called me, "I just want to let you know there were a bunch of small red piglets way up in my yard." Life is good.

We just weaned a litter of Tamworths today. I find myself feeling melancholy because for a short period of time, they will not be free to explore. I can hear them grunting because they don't know where they are and of course they miss the security of mom. Mom pigs really do need to separate from their babies at this time. Nursing a big litter is hard on them and they start to lose some weight.

Eventually we'll run some electric wire in their weaning pen to get them to "respect" the electric fence. When they get big enough, we'll build out large, wire paddocks for them to roam and explore. They surely will be happy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment